Most galaxies fall into one of three main identifiable types, but not all. Explore the diverse shapes of galaxies. The full video and segments are provided below.
These programs contain copyrighted material and should not be downloaded or used outside of this website. For further details, refer to the full copyright statement.
Produced by the Space Telescope Science Institute, Office of Public Outreach
All images, illustrations, and videos courtesy of NASA, ESA, and STScI except:
- NGC 6822 image courtesy of the Local Group Galaxies Survey Team/NOAO/AURA/NSF
- Taurus constellation drawing from Firmamentum Sobiescianum sive Uranographia by Johannes Hevelius, courtesy of the United States Naval Observatory
- NGC 4565 image courtesy of the European Southern Observatory
- Small Magellanic Cloud image courtesy of F. Winkler/Middlebury College, the MCELS Team, and NOAO/AURA/NSF
Music courtesy of Associated Production Music
- Written by Vanessa Thomas
- Designed by John Godfrey